HR Department - Employment
Full-time Employment Opportunities
Firefighters: Dearborn Heights is seeking qualified applicants for the position of Firefighter.
Qualifications: Must be at least 18 years of age or older, and possess a valid, non-restricted MI driver's license. Must present at time of application: College transcripts indicating 60 hours completed (unofficial transcript is sufficient for application purposes); Firefighter I and II certification or completion of Fire Academy ; valid State of Michigan Paramedic License; and Certification from CWW Firefighter testing program (written and physical agility).
To Apply: An official application must be submitted and may be obtained online at http://www.egovlink.com/
Hiring Process: Must pass written exam, oral interview, background investigation, post-offer psychological exam, drug screen, and physical examination.
Starting salary: $33,843 plus benefits after 90 days
For the Water Department, laborers are responsible to executive and maintain water repair and maintenance tasks.
For the Highway Laborer, laborers are responsible for maintaining and fixing roads.
For the Building Maintenance, laborers are responsible for repairing and maintaining public buildings and parks.
For the Ordinance Department, employees are responsible for code enforcement throughout the City.
EDUCATIONAL AND DRIVING REQUIREMENTS:
Must be 18 years or older
High school diploma or GED
Valid State of Michigan Commercial Driver’s License – Class B with a Air Brake Endorsement (temporary is acceptable)
Must meet General Government Civil Service Driving Standards
CIVIL SERVICE PROCESS:
Must pass Civil Service written examination with a score of 70% or higher.
Must pass an Oral Interview.
Must pass background check.
Must pass post-offer physical examination with a drug/alcohol screening.
To apply for this position, please submit an application, a copy of your CDL, and a current copy of your driving record to the Human Resource Department, 6045 Fenton, Dearborn Heights. Applications can be downloaded by clicking www.ci.dearborn-heights.mi.us. Applications are due by Wednesday, August 20, at 4 p.m.
Summary: Works under the general direction of the library branch manager and library director. Responsible for administrative, supervisory and direct service work overseeing the general circulation operations of the library, including all adult and juvenile circulation functions; all other related work, as required.
- Oversees the operations and personnel of the circulation department, including registering new borrowers, checking out materials, administering museum passes, and maintaining complete and accurate records.
- Assists patrons as they borrow or return materials.
- Maintains accurate and current circulation statistics; prepares monthly report for the Library Branch Manager and/or Director.
- Assists in the development of library policies and procedures, particularly as related to circulation.
- Trains and instructs staff and volunteers; provides staff with information on new procedures and materials.
- Enforces and interprets library policies pertaining to circulation of materials and use of equipment; assists patrons in the use of library facilities and resources; answers inquiries on procedures in person and by telephone.
- Reviews and purchases materials for purchase; maintains rental audio book collection.
- Organizes monthly displays and exhibits.
- Attends informational and instructional conferences and workshops related to library operations.
- Supervises shelf reading for adult services; weeds shelves for assigned areas.
- Performs similar or related work as required, or as situation dictates.
Recommended Minimum Qualifications:
- Must have a valid Michigan Drivers License and a mode of transportation to allow transit between library branches.
- Must have at least two years of college credits and three years of public library experience OR six years of public library experience
- Knowledge of library policies and procedures, including automated circulation systems and information technology. Thorough knowledge of circulation department operations. Broad knowledge of literature.
- Ability to interact tactfully and appropriately with library patrons. Ability to work independently.
- Ability to learn computer operations and related library databases, and the ability to operate library equipment.
- Excellent computer skills, customer service skills, oral and written communication skills, and organizational skills.
CIVIL SERVICE PROCESS:
- Must pass Civil Service written examination with a score of 70% or higher.
- Must pass an Oral Interview.
- Must pass background check.
- Must pass post-offer physical examination with a drug/alcohol screening.
To apply for this position, please submit an application to the Human Resource Department, 6045 Fenton, Dearborn Heights. Applications can be downloaded by clicking www.ci.dearborn-heights.mi.us. Applications are due by Wednesday, August 20, at 4 p.m.
Part-time Employment Opportunities
School Crossing Guard
Summary: To provide for the safe movement of children to and from school when crossing public roadways and intersections by observing gaps in the traffic and leading the children across the roadway or intersection. Crossing guards are not to engage in traffic direction or control.
Works approximately two-three hours per day, Monday through Friday, during the public school year (September through June). Specific hours to be worked will be set by the traffic officer and may vary according to demand and workload. Principle duties include:
- Assists children on their way to and from school in safely crossing roadways and intersections.
- Watch for gaps in traffic and walk children across the roadway or intersection while holding a "stop" sign in such a manner as to be visible to approaching vehicles.
Must have the ability to follow oral and written instructions. Must have the ability to deal effectively and courteously with associates and the general public. Shall be in physical condition that will permit adequate job performance. Must successfully complete a structured training program annually. Must be able to pass criminal background check.
To apply, complete the General Employment Application and submit it to the Human Resource Department or call the Cpl. Stewart for more information at 313-791-9808.
The City of Dearborn Heights is an equal opportunities employer and positively encourages applications from suitably qualified and eligible candidates regardless of sex, race, disability, age, sexual orientation, religion or belief, marital status, or pregnancy and maternity.