The Berwyn Senior Center was formerly an elementary school and was built in 1958. In 1979, the City of Dearborn Heights began leasing the building from the Crestwood School District to be used by an expanding senior population. In November of 1979, the building became the Berwyn Senior Citizen Center. Housing twenty classrooms, a large multi-purpose room and a kitchen, the facility is utilized daily for classes, special events, meetings and the Wayne County nutrition program. After months of deliberation, a legal agreement was written to transfer ownership of the Center from the Crestwood School District to the City of Dearborn Heights. The purchase was to solidify the position of the Berwyn Senior Center in the community.