Department of Public Works
William Zimmer, Administrator
24600 Van Born
Dearborn Heights, MI 48125
Yard waste season begins the week of April 4, 2016
2016 Holiday Trash Schedule
- New Year's Day 2016
- Memorial Day 2016
- Independence Day 2016
- Labor Day 2016
- Thanksgiving Day 2016
- Christmas Day 2016 (not closed - no delay)
ABOUT THE DPW
We have three departments that make up the Department of Public Works; Water Dept., Highway Dept., Building & Maintenance Dept.
- Responsible for the maintenance of 1400 miles of water, sewer, and storm lines.
- Repair all water main breaks, any season, any time of the day.
- Repair water services to houses and install services to newly build houses.
- Maintain entire sewer system throughout the community.
- Install all water meters, and get readings of usage from each home, and business in the community.
- Repair any excavated sites from work they perform.
- Equipment includes: Backhoes, trenching equipment, large and small dump trucks, jet trucks.
- Maintain and repair 1522 fire hydrants and valves, 2129 gates.
- Snow and ice removal on all city streets.
- Street sweeping (we sweep every city street once a week weather permitting)
- Maintain all city street signs, installation, removal, replacement, etc.
- Tree trimming and removals.
- Do temporary repair of streets. (Cold patch material)
BUILDING AND MAINTENANCE
When does DPW plow streets?
- Responsible for any and all maintenance for 28 city owned buildings.
- Maintain 9 city parks throughout the community.
- Responsible for cutting and maintaining 500 acres of grass.
- Install voting booths for elections and disassemble of each.
- On 24-hour call to perform snow & ice removal around all city building and parking lots.
- Set ups for all city special events.How many miles of roads?
- City trucks will start plowing when snow accumulates 3 or more inches.
- Trucks will salt all major streets and around school after 1 inch.5.623 Miles of State trunk line - 154.76 Miles of Local - 30.06 Miles of Major.Facts about water main breaks:The water department has between 200 and 250 main breaks per year.
Main breaks can happen any time of the year, but the majority will break during the colder months when frost enters the ground and cause ground shifting. Also water pressure changes from warmer to colder months.
Click here to see the 2014 Water Department Service Fees