Commendation and Complaint Procedures
The Dearborn Heights Police Department strives to provide the highest quality law enforcement services to the citizens and visitors of Dearborn Heights. As such, we are very interested in receiving feedback on the performance of our members, both positive and negative. Please adhere to the following procedures to compliment or complain about the actions of any member of our department:
Citizen Commendation Procedure
1. To commend or compliment the performance of a member of the Dearborn Heights Police Department, please submit a written letter to my office.
2. When a letter of commendation is received, it will be forwarded to the employee and their supervisor.
3. All letter of commendations are placed in the member's civil service personnel file which can impact future promotions or assignments.
Citizen Complaint Procedure
1. To file a formal complaint against a member of the Dearborn Heights Police Department, a citizen should request a Citizen Complaint form from the on-duty desk supervisor.
2. The Citizen Complaint form should be completed including as much detail as possible and then returned to the department. The completed Citizen Complaint form can be dropped off at the front desk or mailed to the Chief of Police.
3. All citizen complaints will be processed by the Office of the Chief of Police and assigned to the appropriate supervisor for investigation into the allegations.
4. All citizens filing formal complaints will be contacted by the investigating supervisor during the investigation and upon completion of the investigation be informed of the disposition of their complaint.
5. Complaints which are sustained by the departmental investigation will result in the appropriate corrective action and/or discipline against the offending member.