Emergency Guide

Screenshot 2022-07-11 082209

Mayor Bazzi's Flood Updates: 
7/24 Update: https://fb.watch/6Y71WRgVUH/

7/23 Update: https://fb.watch/6Y7dHC0QKa/
7/21 Update: https://fb.watch/6Y7htbWynj/
7/20 Update: https://fb.watch/6TdFxsI-p3/
7/17 Update: https://fb.watch/6OSUDI_AE-/
7/14 Update: https://fb.watch/v/4c2HfMuw6/
7/12 Update: https://fb.watch/6OPkCz2aa0/
7/11 Update: https://fb.watch/6OP1leZkX7/
7/10 Update: https://fb.watch/6OOQHqYijq/
7/8 Update with Congreswoman Rashida Talib: https://fb.watch/6OOS-vX_LI/
7/6 Update: https://fb.watch/6t72iizUk9/
7/5 Update: https://fb.watch/v/1SBNycg95/
7/4 Update: https://fb.watch/v/1UHRquiDk/
6/30 Update: https://fb.watch/6t72iizUk9/
6/28 4:30pm Update with Governor Whitmer: https://fb.watch/6pZSAznMCW/
6/28 1:30pm Update: https://fb.watch/6pPBbUjR17/
6/27 Update: https://fb.watch/6pZwYbJoZF/
6/26 1:00pm Update: https://fb.watch/6nxWK08KuG/
6/26 4:00pm Update: https://fb.watch/6ny7CciL8g/
6/26 4:00pm Update: https://fb.watch/6nyblP4YBr/

Dearborn Heights Residents:

The federal government officially approved  Michigan's disaster declaration and ordered federal assistance.

You can apply for assistance by registering online at http://www.DisasterAssistance.gov or by calling 1-800-621-FEMA(3362). For the hearing and speech impaired1-800-462-7585 (TTY).  The toll-free telephone numbers will operate from 7:00 a.m. to 9:00 p.m. (local time) seven days a week until further notice. 

As we are experiencing heavy rainfall in Wayne and neighboring counties, many of us are experiencing various levels of flooding in our streets and, in some cases, in our basements. Our DPW, Police, and Fire Departments are assisting residents who are stranded in their vehicles. At this time, please avoid the roads and remain in your homes if possible. If you encounter a flooded road while driving, turn around and do NOT drive through it.

If you have flooding in your basement, please avoid the area to prevent possible electrocution (unless you are safely able to enter and appliances are unplugged). Please allow the water to recede or drain if you are able to safely do so.

Also, the flood water you are seeing in and around your streets is often contaminated with backed-up sewage. In addition to the obvious health hazards associated with contaminated water, murky waters can hide several unseen hazards, like sharp-edged debris, broken glass, sinkholes, etc. Stay out of this water as much as possible, and CERTAINLY don't allow children to play in floodwater (no matter how clear it appears to be).

Governor Whitmer declared a state of emergency in Wayne County. Click here to view the Executive Order 

Those impacted by the flood should follow these steps:  

  • Try to limit your contact with the water. Wear heavy work gloves, protective clothing and boots during clean up and use appropriate face coverings or masks if cleaning mold or other debris.
  • Stay away from power lines and electrical wires. The number two flood killer after drowning is
  • Electrical current can travel through water. Report downed power lines to DTE Energy at 1 (800) 477-4747
  • Be alert to gas leaks. Turn off the gas to your house before it floods. If you smell gas, report
  • it to a City official or your gas company. Do not use candles, lanterns or open flames if you
  • smell gas or are unsure if your gas has been shut off.
  • Look out for animals, especially snakes. Small animals that have been forced out of their
  • homes may seek shelter in yours.
  • Get damaged items out to the curb as soon as possible GFL will pick them up within 7 days.
  • Create an inventory of all damages, take photos and keep receipts for YOUR records.
  • Fill out the 2021 Flood Survey Sheet and send it to mhernandez@ci.dearborn-heights.mi.us or drop it off at the Mayor's Office in City Hall. This data will help when the city applies for emergency relief funds. You can also download the 2021 Flood Survey Sheet here and return it to the Mayor's Office.

Wayne County Resource

CALL 2-1-1
Wayne County 211 Service is Now Accepting Calls From Residents In Need of Help Clearing Flood-Damaged Homes
The hotline operates daily from 9:00 am - 5:00 pm 

“The 211 services can assist seniors & other residents who are unable to clean out debris themselves find the assistance they need to safely restore their homes.”-Wayne County Executive Warren C. Evans

* 211 can not currently assist residents seeking financial assistance for flood damage.
* Residents who do not need assistance with debris removal should not call 211 about flood-related issues at this time.

211 Flood Help Flyer
Samaritan’s Purse U.S. Disaster Relief Resource
Volunteers from Samaritan’s Purse U.S. Disaster Relief are in our area to assist with flood cleanup.  (This group was also here in 2019.)  If you need help or want to help them, please contact them.

If you need any food assistance contact Eternal Light at 313-220-7787 or pick-up food at 5752 Telegraph Rd. Dearborn Heights, Michigan 48127

FEMA and additional local relief resources available: 

Individual Assistance: FEMA's Individual Assistance mission ensures disaster survivors have timely access to a full range of authorized programs and services to maximize recovery through partnered coordination of STTL governments, as well as other federal agencies, non-governmental organizations and the private sector. Find a Fact Sheet on Individual Assistance Programs here.

Sequence of Delivery: View a Individuals and Households Program (IHP) Sequence of Delivery Fact Sheet, outlining the order in which funding will be distributed and to whom, here.

Hazard Mitigation Assistance Grants: FEMA's hazard mitigation assistance provides funding for eligible mitigation measures that reduce disaster losses, reduces the vulnerability of communities to disasters and their effects, and more. View a pamphlet on these grants, including a FAQ and additional resource links, here.

The State Emergency Relief program provides immediate help to families and individuals facing conditions of extreme hardship ofor emergencies that threaten health and safety. It is available to eligible residents that need help with home repairs necessary to correct unsafe conditions and restore essential services.

Applicants must be the owner or purchaser of the home and meet other eligibility requirements - including income limits - to qualify.

The lifetime maximum amount of funds available for non-energy related home repairs is $1,500 per household. State Emergency Relief Program assistance is available for repairs not covered by homeowner's insurance for the basic house structure, hot water heater, septic/waste disposal system, doors/windows, extermination services, electrical, plumbing, roofs and wells.

To apply for State Emergency Relief, visit www.michigan.gov/MIBridges. Anyone who does not have internet access or needs assistance applying can contact their local MDHHS office. Or call 2-1-1 to be referred to other community resources.

Wayne Metro is accepting applications for emergency food and supplies, rent and utility assistance, along with property and income tax assistance. Additionally, Wayne Metro is also accepting applications for the Great Lakes Water Authority WRAP (Water Residential Assistance Program) that provides eligible residents of the GLWA service area with payment assistance and home water conservation services.

More websites on flood-related preparedness and safety


Click the link below to access a comprehensive publication about flood hazard areas, flood safety, insurance information, and property protection tips:

Click below for the lattest 100-year floodplain maps for the city of Dearborn Heights. These maps are helpful in determining if your property is located in a floodplain:

For real-time water levels and other helpful information about the Middle Rouge (North Dearborn Heights) and Ecorse Creek (South Dearborn Heights), click on the appropriate link below:

To determine the Lowest Adjacent Grade or Base Flood Elevation for a parcel in Dearborn Heights, click here:


Certain lands in the City of Dearborn Heights adjacent to the Rouge and Ecorse Creek have been identified as special floodplain areas. A floodplain area is that portion of land subject to inundation by flood and/or flood-related erosion hazards.

Maps showing the Federal Flood Insurance Rate Maps (FIRM) are available in the Building and Engineering Department of the Dearborn Heights City Hall (6045 Fenton) the Caroline Kennedy Library (24590 George), or the John F. Kennedy Jr. Library (24602 Van Born, and from the FEMA Flood Map Store on the FEMA website. The Building and Engineering Department staff can assist you in determining whether your property is located in one of the floodplain areas. They can also help you with questions and forms necessary to request that FEMA remove your property from the floodplain area. To obtain flood hazard (floodplain) information, call 313-791-3470.

Building permits are required for remodeling projects, repairs, replacements, new structures, additions, re-roofing, decks, driveways, sheds, pools and fences. A building permit must be obtained from the Building and Engineering Department before beginning any construction. Some of these activities may not be permitted or may be restricted in scope if they will be located within a Special Flood Hazard Area (SFHA). Other activities that may not normally require a permit such as grading or filling might be prohibited or restricted if they will take place within the SFHA. A permit from the Michigan Department of Environmental Quality (MDEQ) and a Soil Erosion Sedimentation Control (SESC) permit from the Building Department must be issued before grading and filling activities will be allowed within the SFHA. Call the Building Department at 313-791-3470 for specific requirements related to your project.If an existing structure is located within a SFHA, there are restrictions as to how much the structure can be improved or reconstructed if damaged by fire or other means. This work is classified as a Substantial Improvement and the cost of any repair, reconstruction or improvement to the structure located in a SFHA is limited to 50% of the market value of the structure before the repair or improvements are begun and are counted cumulatively for a ten-year period beginning at the start of the first improvement. This is to assure that the flood insurance liability of a property that has been identified as prone to flooding does not increase substantially.

There are several ways to protect your home from flood damage. The Planning and Building Departments can assist you in identifying methods that might be appropriate for your property. There are also external websites that serve as excellent guides in assisting you in identifying your specific flooding problem and what methods are available for protection. Check the "More Websites" section at the bottom of this page.

Property owners in flood hazard areas are often unaware of the risk of floods and do not carry adequate flood protection insurance to cover potential losses. If you don't have flood insurance, talk to your insurance agent. Homeowner's policies do not cover damage from floods. However, because the City of Dearborn Heights participates in the National Flood Insurance Program, you can purchase a separate flood insurance policy. The insurance is backed by the federal government and is available to everyone, even if your property has flooded before or is not indicated as being in a Special Flood Hazard Area. For more information, click on the "National Flood Insurance Program" link below.

Floods are the most common and widespread of all natural disasters, except fire. Most communities in the United States can experience some kind of flooding after spring rain, heavy thunderstorms or winter snow melts. Flash floods usually result from intense storms dropping large amounts of rain within a brief period. Flash floods occur with little or no warning and can reach full peak in only a few minutes. For a list of areas that have experienced (or are experiencing) flood threats, check the following FEMA website:


More websites on flood-related preparedness and safety:

Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA)
FEMA Information on Floods and Flash Floods

National Flood Insurance Program

National Weather Service
State of Michigan

Flooded Basement Information - Wayne County Department of Public Health

American Red Cross

Department of Homeland Security
Wayne County Hazard Mitigation Plan 

City of Dearborn Heights, Michigan
Office of Emergency Management